13 September 2008

Product Review: Maybelline NY Define-A-Lash Waterproof Mascara

I have long eyelashes, but they aren't very thick. Okay, those of you have shorter lashes can hate me later, but I often wear glasses, so wearing mascara means I tend to have straggly spider leg trails mucking up my glasses. I always have trouble with volumizing mascaras because they tend to clump on my thin, long eyelashes.

When I saw the ads for Maybelline NY Define-A-Lash Waterproof Mascara, I was hopeful. The packaging is certainly eye-catching, wih neon-greenIt claims to be "Zero-clump" which looked promising. I picked up a tube in Soft Black, and was excited to try it out.

The first time I pulled out the neon green wand, I was excited. The flexible head is contoured and chock full of rubber bristles. The tube has a "built-in wiper" around the opening which is supposed to prevent too much mascara from attaching to the wand. The wand lays the mascara on nicely without applying too much formula, but coating the lashes well.

The problem I have with this mascara is the formula. The liquid was a little thick the first day I applied it ad was a little clumpy, so I had to keep combing the lashes with the wand, and again once it dried. After one coat my lashes looked nearly twice as thick as before, and the colour was nice: soft without being grey. The waterproof formula held up all day without smudging, and my lashes didn't feel really weighed down even though they looked thicker.

On the second day, I tried the same application with the same result. I used it every day that week, but by the end of the week, the lashes were clumping despite combing the lashes with the wand again and combing them after they dried. The formula was not drying out, as it was still creamy, but the fibres seemed to be clustered more thickly.

My experience with Maybelline NY Define-A-Lash Waterproof Mascara was not good. I won't be trying this again, and feel like it was a waste of my money.

No comments: