18 October 2008

RIP: James E Reilly

Okay, it's time for me to come out of the closet. I am a lifelong watcher of Days of Our Lives who has tenuously broken my addiction for the last three years. It's a daily struggle not to set the PVR to Salem, and to avoid the web updates (adding links to this post without peeking was hard!). I can't say its been three years completely free of DOOL, but I try to avoid it every day.

I was saddened to learn of the passing of James E Reilly. The former Head Writer created some of my favourite moments of Salem history, including the ridiculously fun possession of Dr. Marlena Evans Brady and my favourite couple, Jack & Jen.

Reilly even wrote Passions, which was the craziest soap since Dark Shadows. That was some funny daytime TV. This was the piece de resistance, when the best writer on NBC decided, 'sure, let's have a talking mannequin and an orangutan love story.' Awesome!

The best kiss to his work that I've read has been done by the Fug Girls at Go Fug Yourself. Read and enjoy. We'll miss you, James!

No comments: